Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A translation which disturbed me..

I sit here past my sleeping time..I was requested to search for few songs and lullabies.. and an added request ( i thought ) was to translate the poem of Vaishnva janato. ( but it was meant for me to google search and learn the meaning)
 After finishing, I felt that it is not for me..
the Email excerpt i would cut paste..


All said and done..
i misunderstood the last line..
i thought you wanted me to translate the poem.
but as i translated.. i thought.. it is something which should be ideal. flawless..
and it doesn't apply to me..
I read your mail..again and there you had asked me to google search the meaning for vaishnava janato ..
i am not perfect ..i am not flawless..I am a Man.. I take into kannan, who treats me well with all my blemishes.. and i do not want to be that idealistic..
anyways I hate ppl preaching me.. even if it is you
that is why i seek saranagathi
accept, me, my dear kanna.. with all my wrong doings.. I am a mere mortal.. hari tum haro.. would be the best.. meera bhajans, azhwar pasurams, all are sayings of prapatti or ultimate surrender.. keeping in mind our inadequacies..
naan appadiththaan kanna..
virumbuvathum veruppathum unakku vittathu..

any ways i have translated the poem.. and sending it to you.. read it in the morning.

Vaishnava janato.

The followers of Vishnu,the vaishnava  tribe
Are those who serve him without pride
Compassionate, knows a fellow’s pain
Virtues extolled, never does complain
Pure are his acts, thoughts and words
Blessed be his mother, in all the worlds
Doesn’t covet, speak ill nor does lie
Steady is his mind, in praise or in fie
Detached, righteous, without deceit
Avarice, lust and anger do forfeit
The name, Rama, stirs his thought
All places holy, swirls his heart
The poet Narsin would seek such man
Whose virtues redeems his whole clan

saravana


6 comments:

  1. I liked your translation whether it is perfect or not I am not aware of.I loved your take on Saranagathi or total surrender to Kannan or whichever God one fancies.
    The qualities of a true Vaishnava(should be applicable to other sects too) are ideal to be aspired for if not wholly.
    Thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, beautiful poem whether it translates perfectly or not. I see no flaw in it. I agree with DParthasarathi

    take care
    Hope you and your family are well

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be frank, I enjoyed your free hand email, more than the translated poem... So, how are things at your end?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Anil kurup.
    I agree with NRIGirl, your translation is far more wonderful .

    ReplyDelete