Sunday, November 14, 2010

My yoga teacher...

Got up early in the morning and finished jogging. It had rained in the night and the air was fresh.Wild flowers bloomed all along the way reminding of what the azhwars have described about kannan. Variously as blue, violet,crimson and golden yellow of 'sree' from his chest changing his whole hue.Forgot the pasuram but I now wonder how correctly the phrase' figure of speech' fits them.
Still had time left to waste after returning home.Waking up kids early sometimes is a big ordeal. I just switched on the light and started talking to my son.He half opened his eyes and hugged me close as if to silence my words.
Slowly i started cajoling him. "Puppy, you told they  teach yoga in your school, why don't you teach the same to daddy, we both will go to terrace and practice". But before he could stir I heard a mumble "mm, don't go to terrace,its cold out there, stay in the hall".He started to curl up more towards me..
"O.K, you need not wake up puppy, I shall carry you" for which I got a silent nod. I gently lifted him up, crossed her and slowly pulled the bedroom door. Carrying him and opening the latch without making noise was even more difficult.Somehow managed that too, he clinging to me even more diligently.
 The terrace was wet, the walls moist, and cold breeze made him shudder. The neighboring hills were covered with clouds descended on them.I gently lowered him and he sat squeezing his eyes.Then he opened his mouth."first we need not sit, you stand and lift your legs and rotate your heels". I lifted him up and promptly followed his orders.Then we started doing certain things in a haphazard manner.Fully awake now , he placed his heel on his other knee and lifted his hands above in a manner of suryanamaskar. I danced for a while and till he told that it's ok to sit now.
Suddenly he asked, " Dad, you knew of yoga when you were studying 1st standard?" for which I replied,"NO dear, I never even knew to wipe my drooling nose at that age". He beamed with pride, then he told "I'll do padmasana and you follow me".This one  we both found  very difficult to place the heels over thighs while sitting. He gave a concession that it was enough to place one heel on the thigh and allow the other leg to be just folded in squatting posture.Then came INHAAAAAAAALE, EXHAAAALE....exercises.Fully satisfied with my performance my teacher told me to kneel down , he too did the same and ducked his head between his knees and started breathing deeply. I too did the same thinking about the advantages of shifting to a city and making him join one of the best schools of this place. Though the  fees was more than what my father paid during my undergraduate and postgraduate years put together. I shouldn't be comparing those times with the present.
I became impatient as my teacher never lifted his head for quite sometime. I had lifted my head twice by now.Thought he has started dozing off.The third time I lifted my head , I saw my house maid coming towards my house.OH! this means disaster.Quickly I started" puppy its cold out here, come fast we will go downstairs and practice in the hall!"and pulled him towards me all to the astonishment and a puzzled look on my teacher's face..

Hmm about the pasuram, I found out one, the next one don't know still

திருக்கண்டேன் ; பொன்மேனி கண்டேன் திகழும்
அருக்கன் அணிநிறமும் கண்டேன் - செருக்கிளரும்
பொன்னாழி கண்டேன்; புரிசங்கம் கைக்கண்டேன்
என்னாழி வண்ணன்பால் இன்று. - பேயாழ்வார்

I saw "sri", her golden glow transforming  my  deep sea blue colored lord  into a shimmering  brightness of  morning sun, Saw his golden disc and his white conch. I saw him thus to this day- peyazhwar.
photo courtesy- Sriram kalingarayar.( his earlier caption fits perfectly-A sea of contrasts)

The divine vision of Peyazhwar and the sequences leading to how Sriman narayana manifested in front of him is a different story..

No comments:

Post a Comment